Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Glittered Window

Isn't this chick sweet? I was psyched when Tamara of Mothers & Daughters Creations asked me to work on a "technique" project. Of course what else would I really want to use other than Stickles! Am I'm over doing it? NAH! They are awesome! If you haven't tried them yet you have to! You can view all of the wonderful colors here. I think I have all of them. Now the only thing I need is some good advice for storage. I keep them in a drawer which is fine but they fall like dominoes ALL the time and it drives me batty! Any ideas???


I decided to give the glitter on acetate/transparencies a try. You have seen this before I'm sure, it's been on SCS and blogs. Many people have used the clear drying glue with fine glitter and that works fine as well. But with Stickles it's one step and the dry time. So here is my little version of this fun technique.....


I stamped the chick with Stazon on a transparency sheet (is that the correct word or is it acetate same thing right?). Let the ink dry and then apply in little squirts the stickles. For this I used yellow on the body, Orange Peel on the beak/wing and Pink for the flower with a dab of Cotton Candy in the middle of the flower. Now set this aside and let it dry. It does take some time I will admit. I usually stamp at night so I plan accordingly and let it dry over night, or if I stamp while the kids nap it dries by the time they go to bed at night so I can continue. I am not one with such patience for things like that because I usually want to get things done, but I love the glitter so much it's worth the wait. Here is a close up of the chick all glittered up:


Doesn't that look cool?? It's like crystals in a window.


While the chick was drying I worked on getting the rest of the card ready. I decided to make a small "box" that would sit on a card and pop out.


I pulled out my square scalloped nesties and used the the square that best fit around the image. I used it to cut out a square on a piece of SU Regal Rose paper. (honestly I didn't measure this piece but as long as you have an inch all around the cut our image you should be fine)


Then score on all four sides 1/2 inch out and another 1/2 inch out. You should then be able to fold the sides under forming a little box with no bottom. Take your "crystal" image and adhere it underneath this cool little window. You can use adhesive or even tape because you won't see it underneath. I used a square piece of cool Daisy Bucket paper to adhere underneath this for the base and it shows through in the window.


Here is the "box" all finished:













The final thing you want to do is adhere this cute box to your card. My card uses SU Regal Rose and Daisy Bucket paper. The flowers on the frame in the finished product is from the Michael's Bridal section. The cute sentiment "Scatter Joy" is by by Daisy Bucket as well.

Please let me know if you would like further clarification on any of this. I just realized this is my first tutorial on my blog! Let me know what you think.

Now hop on over to MDC and pick up all the Stickles you can carry!!! And don't forget to check out all the fun at the MDC Challenge Blog with a Stickle giveaway!

Thanks so much for stopping by!!

Till Later...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this card, sweet chick

TA Carbone said...

Ria this is fantastic. I to love Stickles and have every color, some in duplicate. And I also have 2 of the new Distress Stickles that were shown at CHA that I got from Ranger Direct. I too wondered how to store so many of them and I wrote directly to Tim Holtz and he advised me to use his Alchol Inks carrying case and yes they fit perfect. I do have 2 cases because I have doubles though and as recommended by Tim, store them upside down to avoid clogging and you can see the colors with no problems

Toniann
http://carbonescorner.blogspot.com

Lynda Benden said...

This is just darling Maria!!! Thank you for the tutorial, it is fantastic!

Carole Pillon said...

Only 3 comments for this very cute card in 3D ? It is unfair. :-)

If I got time, I will try to do the same.

Thanks for sharing !
----------------

Seulement 3 commentaires pour cette carte si mignonne ??? C'est trop injuste. :-)
Si je trouve le temps, j'essaierais de faire la même. Merci d'avoir partagé.
Carole

http://scrap.pi-pill.fr/

Unity Stamp Co Tuesday Inspiration!

  I'm up on the UNITY BLOG today sharing some cards I made using 2 stamp sets! I used the February background of the month called   as...